Special Interest Groups (SIGs) are open to all—members as well as non-members—who are interested in a particular vertical industry segment (e.g. government, healthcare) or other common interest area (e.g. geographic, identity theft prevention). Groups form to discuss issues around marketplace trends, roll-out, and use of specifications, business guidelines, privacy and policy impact, and the like. There is no IP requirement for these conversations, which may result in non-normative output that can be contributed to Liberty Alliance or to other organizations, at the SIG’s discretion. SIGs are a vibrant piece of Liberty Alliance, with new ones forming regularly. A full copy of the Special Interest Group Policy, approved by the Liberty Alliance Management Board, is available for review.
Most Liberty SIGs are open to anyone who wishes to participate—Liberty members and non-members alike. There are two—the e-government and standards coordination SIGs—that require Liberty membership, or special invitation, for participation and mailing list access due to the sensitive nature of the conversations. The management board of the Liberty Alliance charters new SIGs as open groups with inclusive membership policies and public mailing lists and wikis, unless significant exceptions are requested and granted.
• SIGs must have at least three members, one of which must be a Liberty member
• SIGs may choose a leader (chairperson) or leaders whose primary role will be to drive discussion and exchange of ideas
• Each SIG has a Liberty-sponsored mail list
• SIGs are run by consensus and have no formal voting rules or IP policies
• Meeting space and logistical support for all SIGs is provided during regular global Liberty meetings
• SIGs meet at such other times and places, too–wherever participants want to get together
Relationship to Groups:
There is no formal relationship between SIGS and other Liberty groups. However, SIGs can be an important source of input to Expert Groups or other industry groups and can provide critical analysis of Expert Group output prior to publication.
Current SIGs include:
French Speaking SIG
Health Information Management SIG
Identity Assurance SIG
Identity Theft Prevention SIG
Standards Coordination SIG
Strong Authentication SIG
Volunteered Personal Information (VPI) SIG