Michael Barrett, American Express to Help Guide Progress of Growing Consortium – Now More than 120 Companies Strong
Liberty Alliance Project – The Liberty Alliance Project, a business and technology consortium formed to develop open specifications for federated network identity, today announced that Michael Barrett, vice president for Internet strategy at American Express, has been elected the new president of the Liberty Alliance Management Board. Barrett previously served as vice president on the Liberty Management Board.
“American Express is among the many organizations within the Liberty Alliance that recognize the need for open specifications for federated network identity,” said Barrett. “I am looking forward to helping the Liberty Alliance continue to take significant steps toward delivering a solution that helps consumers and businesses easily and securely connect to the array of services available on the Web.”
Barrett will serve as president until the end of his term in December 2003.
Other representatives on the Management Board leadership team include Ian Johnson, senior director of strategic technologies at Vodafone, who has taken over the role of Liberty Alliance vice president; Jim Hughes, director of software standards in Hewlett-Packard’s Software Global Business Unit, Enterprise Systems Group and treasurer of the Liberty Alliance; and Bill Smith, director of Liberty Alliance technology for Sun Microsystems Inc. and secretary of the Liberty Alliance.
The Liberty Alliance also announced today that membership and interest in the Alliance continues to grow, with 26 new companies joining the Alliance. The Liberty Alliance now consists of more than 120 for-profit, not-for-profit and government organizations. The new members announced today include:
* ACI Worldwide: – www.aciworldwide.com
* ATEXO: – www.atexo.com
* Bluewin AG:- www.bluewinag.com
* Convergys: – www.convergys.com
* Daon:- www.daon.com
* Discover Card: – www.discovercard.com
* Fujitsu Invia: – www.invia.fujitsu.com
* Interlink Networks, Inc.: – www.interlinknetworks.com
* International Security, Trust and Privacy Alliance: – www.istpa.org
* Jabber, Inc.: – www.jabber.com
* Merck & Co., Inc.: – www.merck.com
* Nationwide: – www.nationwide.com
* Niteo Partners, An NEC Company: – www.niteo.com
* NRI Pacific, Inc.: -www.nri.com
* Oki Electric Industry: – www.oki.com
* PassGate Corporation: – www.passgate.com
* PingID: – www.pingid.com
* PostX Corporation: – www.postx.com
* Sage Group PLC: – www.sage.com
* Siperian, Inc.: – www.siperian.com
* Universo Online Ltd: – www.uolinc.com
* Vasco Data Security: – www.vasco.com
* Waterforest Consulting Services: – URL not available
* Waveset Technologoies, Inc.:- www.waveset.com
* Wells Fargo: – www.wellsfargo.com
* Yodlee, Inc.: – www.yodlee.com
The Liberty Alliance Management Board consists of representatives from each of the 16 founding member companies. The companies currently represented on the Management Board include: American Express, AOL Time Warner, Bell Canada, Citigroup, France Telecom, General Motors, Hewlett-Packard Company, MasterCard International, Nokia, NTT DoCoMo, Openwave Systems, RSA Security, Sony Corporation, Sun Microsystems, United Airlines and Vodafone.
About the Liberty Alliance Project
The Liberty Alliance Project (www.projectliberty.org) is an alliance of more than 120 technology and consumer organizations formed to develop and deploy open, federated network identification specifications that support all current and emerging network devices in the digital economy. Federated identity will help drive the next generation of the Internet, offering businesses and consumers convenience and choice. Membership is open to all commercial and non-commercial organizations.